For Those Who Seek To Redefine
The greatest achievements in history are borne from the greatness within people – where human potential meets vision, and passion fuels evolution. Unlocking this potential is the most important thing we do at Bird.
As a leader in Canadian construction for over 100 years, the impact of our team is etched deeply within the core of our legacy. Beyond Bird, this impact is felt in the fundamental aspects of our everyday lives. From the critical infrastructure we depend on, to the energy and resources that keep us moving - we are powering our communities and shaping Canada’s skylines coast-to-coast. Entrenched in the foundation of a culture built more than a century ago is an enduring quest to reimagine what is possible. Our impact is greater than ever, and we are looking for those who seek to redefine their story.
We are a dynamic team of over 5,000 with a range of professions, backgrounds, and areas of expertise. This breadth of diversity in people and opportunities is one of greatest aspects of building your career with Bird. Every trajectory looks different. At Bird, you hold the pen and you write your story. As you unlock your potential, you are surrounded by a team that supports you every step of the way.
At Bird, we are focused on building a culture that brings together ideal team players who facilitate possibility every day. We are looking for those who have the courage and confidence to be humble; the self-motivated, ambitious professionals who are hungry; and those who never lose sight of their intuition, emotional intelligence, or the unequivocal impact of being people smart.
Reporting to the Chief Estimator, the Estimator will be responsible for providing accurate estimating and subcontractor costing from the budgeting and estimating stage through the contract letting and planning stage of projects up to $10 million. Submissions may include various delivery models; Stipulated Sum/Hard Bid, Design-Build, Cost Plus and Construction Management. This role will require you to have a collaborative approach to delivering results through strong relationships with a broad network of professional colleagues, subcontractors, and team members. As a member of the estimating team, you may be required to work independently on individual assignments or as part of a team on larger, more complex submissions.
This position is based in:Winnipeg
- Develop estimates in accordance with Company procedures including takeoff & pricing of own forces work and selected subcontractor work.
- Solicit pricing from subcontractors & suppliers.
- Determine general expenses and provide input into margins/fees.
- Conduct thorough review of the project documents and analyze subcontractor requirements.
- Identifying inherent risk and opportunities including strategies to create a competitive edge.
- Work with client or consultants with respect to issues that may require clarification or elaboration.
- Develop a preliminary project construction schedule as a basis for pricing of time related activities utilizing input from subcontractors and Bird staff.
- Prepare a summary of issues and participate in a detailed estimate review.
- Lead/Participate in the closing of the estimate and submission of the tender.
- Assist in the development of post tender submissions and in negotiations as required.
- Participate in project development activities including scope definition and clarification, preconstruction planning, control estimate development and delivery.
- Provide preconstruction services including the preparation of preliminary budgets, cost plans, and value engineering opportunities.
- Work to identify leads and securement opportunities through contacts with clients, consultants, subcontractors and others in the construction industry.
- Maintain databases, including labour rates, material pricing and project costs, for future reference.
- Prepare conceptual estimates by interpreting historical data.
What We Are Looking For
- Formal education related to Civil Engineering, Construction Management or other equivalent construction program
- 5+ years of “hands-on” experience in the capacity of Estimator including a full range of project delivery methods of ICI construction project up to $10 million
- Eligible for or have attained PQS, CET or P.Eng designation
- Extensive knowledge and experience with estimating techniques, tendering process and negotiating contracts
- Demonstrate integrity and strives for excellence in the quality of work
- Experience working with estimating software programs such as Timberline and On-screen Takeoff
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Adobe
- Ability to read and interpret construction related documents including plans, specifications, and other technical material
- Ability to forge, grow and maintain positive relationships with project team, subtrades, consultants and client
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and meet the time demands of unpredictable activities; capable of handling pressure and challenges in a dynamic business environment
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and prioritization of work to achieve them
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, troubleshooting, problem-solving skills, strong math skills and a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Highly developed interpersonal, communication (written and verbal), and organizational skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, flexibility, and strong commitment to achieving goals; ability to work in challenging, fast paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with a positive attitude
- Supportive of a culture that encompasses the highest ethical standards aligned with the Company Promise
What We Believe In
Safety is a moral obligation. Our goal is zero harm.
Bird invests in its employees as partners in the success of the company. Together we will grow and create opportunities within a respectful, diverse, and healthy workplace.
We believe that the best results are achieved through the collaboration of our employees, customers, partners, communities, trade contractors, and suppliers.
We conduct ourselves in a manner of which we are proud, as individuals, and as representatives of our company, community, and industry.
We are honest, truthful, and fair. We conduct ourselves with integrity.
We are committed to balancing the sustainability of the company, communities, and the environment.
Job ID: ...